Here is what is being presented to our county’s 5th grade teachers.
- Common Core assessments all new next year – new End of Grade Test based on CC and Essential Standards for next two years. “Smarter Balance” designed by many states to assess Common Core in the 3rd year.
- Measures of Student Learning – assessments that will be used at all non-EOG or EOC grades/classes. Think they’ll have it ready by end of next year.
- This year for 5th grade proposal from DPI to State Board – to be voted upon in March – affects 5th grade on up. EVAAS data will be used to determine whether or not a teacher has met expected growth with students. Look at students scores from 3rd and 4th grade reading and math EOG and the software makes a prediction for what they should do on the 5th grade test. This is the score that will affect the Standard 6 component on the new teacher evaluation. They will be using a 3 year average. Everyone else other than 5th grade teachers will have a school wide score that will come from your school’s fifth grade scores for 3 years.
- EVAAS reading and math scores are put together into one score for Standard 6. ??? Not sure if science is included or not.
- Accountability Changes: Have applied for a waiver in NC for NCLB restrictions, haven’t heard back yet.
- Shared draft Math pacing guide; want us to talk to our teachers back at school to see if pacing guides seem do-able.
- Here is the Daily Schedule we “are to use”:
30 minutes – Guided Reading
30 minutes – Independent Reading Practice
30 minutes – Writing/Grammar
*30 minutes – Spelling/Rosetta Stone
*30 minutes- Novels/Reading Plus/First in Math/Burst/Sight Words/Phonics
60 minutes – Math
40 minutes – Science/Social Studies
30 minutes – PE
30 minutes – Lunch
40 minutes – Specials
*20 minutes – 10 minutes in morning/10 minutes at end of day
*20 minutes – Breaks, Transitions, Changing Classes, Preparing for lunch
* There is flexibility with these items.
- 30% of new reading test is grammar
- Gave a draft pacing guide based on Reading Street basal
- Writing across grade levels: 1st Quarter – Narrative; 2nd Quarter – Expository; 3rd Quarter – Expository Research; 4th Quarter- Opinion
- Plan is to direct teachers to read specific novels at specific times; much less choice for teachers!
- Worked on dividing up Essential Standards in Science by quarter.
- We are being asked to develop lessons and materials to go along with a quarter focus in science and math by mid-March. Each school will be responsible for one part.
Oh my……………. I have a headache!