Matt Sears – Hillside New Tech High (and my Kenan Fellow buddy!)
- going over 21st Century Skills site information:
- Life and Career Skills
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Information, Media, and Technology Skills
- Core Subjects and 21st Century Themes
- We brainstormed activities and skills that fall under each of these four main categories.
- Promise made by Matt’s school to parents, “When your child graduates they will have not only traditional content but the above list to better prepare them for 21st Century living.”
- Five evaluation columns on grade card (Learning Outcomes):
- 1. communication (10%), 2. work ethic (being on time, collaboration, turning in hw) (10%), 3. content knowledge (60%), 4. inventive thinking (problem solving, higher order thinking, reasoning, creativity)(10%), 5. technology skills (10%)
- Rubrics have been created for each of the above Learning Outcomes. Include the objective from the SCOS on the rubric.
- Work ethic rubric is really the only one Matt doesn’t change throughout the year.
- 9 New Tech schools in NC flowing from the original pilot in Napa, CA
- Good place to infuse Marzano while developing Learning Outcomes!! (my thoughts)
- We are now working on developing a basic project that would include measuring the categories of ethics/work ethic, communication, problem solving/higher order thinking, and technology skills; we developed an “Earthquakes Around the World” scenario where groups would be creating wikis.